Tutor: Tanya Sharkey
Course dates: 10th May to 21st June 2023 (no class on 31st May)
Length of course: 6 weeks
Study mode: Wednesday evenings 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Venue: Hereford Campus, Folly Lane, Hereford HR1 1LS
You will be guided through how to do various crochet stitches to develop crochet skills and techniques required to make simple objects.
Level / experience needed: The course is designed for beginners.
- Single, double and treble crochet stitches
- How to read and follow crochet patterns
- Crocheting in the round
- Rows and turning
- Increasing and decreasing stitches
What you will need to bring
- Four colours required of chunky wool 100g, such as Stylecraft yarn – Chunky 100g (100% premium acrylic). This can be bought for about £2.10. As long as the wool is chunky and is 100g, you can choose whatever you feel comfortable using: acrylic, or a mixture of acrylic and wool.
- Crochet hooks – either 5mm or 6mm, whichever you feel comfortable using. These can be bought individually or it may be cheaper to buy a set. I use Pony P39810 Easy Grip Crochet hook set multi which can be found online for about £9.95.
- Stitch markers, sewing needle – These can be bought for about £1 per pack. Scissors – any type as they are only required to cut the yarn. The tutor will supply patterns.
About the tutor
“My name is Tanya and I have been crocheting for about 4 years. Over this time, I have made all sorts of toys, ranging from tiny turtles up to large flamingos. I love giving them as gifts and keepsakes; they are personal and unique. Crocheting is also one of the best forms of relaxation where you get something cute at that end to keep.”
Tuition: £60.00 (this includes a charge of £10.00 for additional materials)
N.B. These costs are subject to change
The college may offer a more advanced crochet course in the future.