HLNSC is constantly working towards removing barriers to education.
Tailored support is available for anyone who has a physical disability, sensory impairment or learning difficulty.
To discuss what support might be right for you, please contact our switchboard on 0800 032 1986 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the Learning Support and Accessibility team at the HLNSC college you are interested in applying to.
The College will work with you and your parents/guardians if applicable, to carry out an initial assessment to decide how best to support you during your time at college. If you have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan from your school, we will ask you to provide a copy of it.
If you need help with arranging an EHC plan assessment please visit the information on your local authority’s website – some links are below:
We provide a range of support for students with learning difficulties. Examples include:
- in-class support from Learning Support Assistants (LSAs).
- supervision at lunchtimes where necessary
- help with English and maths
- special exam considerations (for students who qualify) – more on exam support below.
We have specialist staff at our colleges who can provide support for people with dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia and/or other specific learning difficulties. This may include:
- Regular 1:1 sessions
- Small group sessions
- Help with study skills
- Special exam considerations (for students who qualify)
- Use of assistive software
- Support exploring different learning styles
- Completion of a screening test and arranging a formal assessment
There is also support available if you have more general difficulties with English or maths.
We can also support you during exam time, for example by providing:
- extra time for exams
- someone to read the exam paper and write down your answers (scribe)
- a communicator to sign exam questions.
Support for exams and assessments needs to be agreed with the examination boards in advance, so please let us know as early as possible if you think you will require this type of support.
Our learning support team will work with you to enable you to access the full curriculum on offer. The support offered can include:
- help to apply for care and support (through your EHC plan)
- individual support with your studies in the classroom
- help getting about the college (through your EHC plan)
- special exam considerations, where applicable.
If you have a visual or hearing impairment, support can include:
- communication support such as sign language
- specialist equipment
- note-taking and help with study skills.
Building access information
Specific building access information can be found in the ‘contact us’ menu for each individual college.
See also Equality, diversity and accessibility.